Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Favorite poetry.

You seem to like literature I have heard about your reading Jules Verne in the Second LIfe who is your favorite poet and why?

Thank you for your question, friend. Truthfully, I am not much of a connoisseur of poetry. Prose is more to my taste. However, I do have a few favorite poems. It may come as no surprise to you that “Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright” by William Blake sits at the top of the list. It is, for me, a beautiful homage to the power and majesty of the beast for which I feel an affinity. Another favorite of mine is “Sea Fever” by John Masefield. My higher self served a number of years in the US Navy. This poem speaks to the love of the sea that I continue to carry with me. Coleridge’s “Rime of the Ancient Mariner” was one of the first poems I committed to memory, many long years ago. It is a powerful tale. The last poem I will mention is “When first mine eyes did view, and marke” by Sir Thomas Wyatt. It is a lovely little piece that quite surprised me when I first read it. It seems to be a sweet love poem at first, but one quickly sees that it is indeed a lover’s lament.

Ask a tiger.

No comments:

Post a Comment